Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas visit to Giam Village & Giam Waterfall


On Christmas day, I was following my friends to visit their friends at Giam Village. Although I knew there was a nice waterfall near the village but unfortunately all this time I was never been there before.

We were driving along the long and winding road through mountainous terrain that leads to Giam village in the Padawan district in Kuching. The journey took about 30 minutes from Kuching city. Actually I was thinking that the waterfall was as similar as the one at Ranchan Pool, Kuching.

When we reached at the Giam Waterfall, I was so surprised to see that the so-called waterfall is in fact a cascade but it is really beautiful with the fast, cool and clear flowing shallow water. Pebbles and sand form the river bed and is a popular spot for town folks and nearby villagers to picnic and also a good spot to fish the whole day long as the surrounding trees provide shade. Some black rocks on the floor of the river bed with its top protruding out of the water providing a nice place to sit and soak ones feet in the cool water. I didn't bring along with my swimming gear, if not, sure I will treat myself a good bath in the cool and clear shallow water there.
The local folks were using the water to take bath, wash their cloths and also as drinking water. During the rainy season this small river can easily swell up and fill with water. After that, we proceeded to visit their friends house near the river bank. I noticed there were about less than 50 houses in the village and the population might be around few two to three hundreds people. We have to cross the river by long boat to one of their friends house and they charged 50 cents per head. I was so excited when sit on the long boat as I don't know how to swim. :-)
We were almost drunk after visiting a few house, drinking their local wine like 'chap langkau' and 'tuak'. Luckily we managed to drive home safely.
I definately will come back again when I am free and not forgetting bring my swimming gear along.

7 comments:

mygreatbuds said...

...it is refreshing view.

Suggest we go picnic there with sone of our friends bringing kids.

Heroes said...

it's a good idea and maybe we could organise a picnic on one of the weekend with our friends together with their family.

The water is really cool and fresh...

mygreatbuds said...

so you are the OC. Please set the date for this occassion.

Hornbill said...

Hey you guys...why not we all make a day trip there when Juergen and I are back? I also have never been there and pai say to say don't even know it exists :-P

mygreatbuds said...

on diau ee la !

Heroes said...

After seeing all the comments, I think it's a must go trip when my sis and bro-in-law are in Kuching.

Will organise it in one of the weekend after Chinese New Year.

Mr Tee said...

gua poon ai kee!