
12 years (from 1980 to 1992). That's how long I have stayed and studied in Sibu. For 12 years I have called Sibu home. Its the place I grew up into adulthood. Its where I met amazing friends that I'll cherish for the rest of my life. It's due to my mother's health condition whereby she was diagnosed of womb cancer and need further treatment ie. radiotherapy in Kuching, I have to leave Sibu - albeit very relunctantly.

I shall dedicate here to reminiscent those years that I spent in Sibu as a sweet remembrance to me and those friends whom were gone through together with me. Unfortunately most of my old photos were left in my half sister's house in Sibu when I move out to Kuching but I managed to ask Stephen Chung to scan for me from his albums. Now, lets hop onto the time machine and rewind back to my Sibu time.

Sibu was not a stranger to me as I used to visit my uncle once a while during school holidays. We were stayed at my uncle's house for a few years before my parents bought our own house at Jalan Oya Lane 21, near St.E school. It was hard as four of us including my elder sister had to squeeze into a small bedroom but thanks God we have our house years later. My parents were selling chicken rice at 'Today Cafe' now known as'.....' i don't know, it's near Fire Brigade Station.
We finally moved to our new house in 1983 while I was studying Transition at my alma mater, SHS. That's the place where I met with all my wonderful classmates not forgetting MGB, mr tee, William, Joe, pat, Stephen Chung, Anthony, Ching Chai Chee Kiong and many many more that I couldn't list them out one by one.

Our school time activities were changed from time to time. During our lower form, we used to go swimming at Bukit Lima Pool & Upper lanang river, rear fish, bicycling, watching movies at cinema and our main weekly event was partying at my house which we invited girs from St. E school namely our lovely Ivy and the gang.
At middle form, our main activities were gambling games such as mahjong, 'ban dak' and 'si ki puei'. The venues were various, namely my house, turtle king's house, ah chai's house etc. Apart from that, motorcycling also one of the hottest game as all of my friends had got their motorcycle licence except a few of us including myself, Pat, William etc....but I always the passenger of various drivers...what an honour to be their invited guest! Hahaha...
Upper form was the most happening period as we guys had been 'monk' for years and that's the time we were welcoming those 'nun' from St. E and other schools to our greenland and dry forest. Their arrival were really sparked up our school life. It's still fresh in my mind that on the first day of school, all of us were arrived school earlier than usual time. We gathered at the AVA room and choose the best spot to sit in order to have the best view while waiting for our lady classmates to come in. Hey, mr tee and MGB, i knew you were there too....Joe, are you with us? I knew that Pat and William were exported to other places for further studies.
Those were the days we spent together during our school time and 18 years after leaving our alma mater in 1990, we could still keep in touch with each other, no matter where we are. Thanks to the internet and the blogs.
I would like to share the following with all of you:-
"I know nothing last forever and maybe we won't always stay together, but I am glad every morning when I wake up I still have you on my friends list. Thank you for being my friend."



6 comments:
It's an honour to be your friend too. How is Chee Kiong now? Have not hear from him for 20 years.
Thanks Heroes for these nostalgic photos. Can't recall I was there. Can't remember what was that gathering for.
I wonder why everybody was focusing on Poh Kian using the phone? Eric, was that the latest model of phone from Telekom?
At that time, my house phone was still the black colour and have to physically poke my finger into the dial and 'ta ta ta ta' as many times as the number u poked.
What a touching memories... Just can't believe that we have been friends for 25 years... Look at how time flies...
Remembrance is just a history. What is important is many of us still building up stronger relationship into life friend. Many had just remained a feature in the photo without much progress.
Relationship is alive. It gets stronger and connected when we keep up with each other. Even family members will lose the connectivity if they do not get in touch with one another and the relationship will just remain as name.
Many have even forgotten the names....
Will, Chee Kiong still working with Samling at the Baram Camp as Camp Manager for many years. We used to contact few years back but now seldom already.
mr tee, it was a Christmas gathering at Simon Tong's house and most of us were there including me, you, Joe, Will, MGB, Pat etc...
If I'm not mistaken, it was a game which require Poh Kian to make a call to a girl and do something and I can't remember what thing already.... anyone can help?
Stephen, 25 years! That long kar! Wow....can't believe why you still my friend....hahahhaa....
MGB, you are right, in order to maintain our long friendship, we must always keep in touch no matter how far you are...
Joe, why keep quiet? You are in one of the photo and I wonder why you sat at the corner and grab your hair?? No wonder, now you have less hair..... :-)
I shall always remember the laughter we all shared.
Even after so many years, when we met recently at Midvalley, the conversation was still like what it was then :)
Every time I go back to Sibu, I can't help but recall those times. Alas, Sibu itself has undergone many transformations, some of the places we use to hang out are no longer there.
Post a Comment