Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Joke and/or A Guide

Nowadays most of us are tie down with our company workload, personal issues, family issues etc and indirectly it will cause us more stressful everyday. A sales person is also working hard for achieveing his/her budget before the end of the year. Here, I have a good example of creative mindset of a sale person which was sent to me by my friend via email. You may treat it as a joke and have a good laugh as to cheer your day BUT you may also treat it as a lesson or guide towards in building up our creativity of our mindset. And here it goes..........

An Indian moves to Montreal and goes to a big department store looking for a job.

The manager asks, "Do you have any sales experience?"

The Indian says, "Yeah, I was a salesman back home".

Well, the manager liked the young man, so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did, but let me give you a bit of advice. If a customer comes looking, say, for toothpaste, you might suggest for him a toothbrush, or shaving cream etc. You get the idea?" "Of course," the young man said.

His first day on the job was rough but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the manager came down. "How many sales did you make today?

The Indian says, "One"

The manager groans, "Just one? Our sales people average 20 or 30 sales/day. How much was the sale for?"

The Indian says, "$101, 237.64."

The manager exclaims, "What? $101,237.64? What did you sell him?"

The Indian replied, "First I sold him a small fish hook. Then I sold him a medium fishhook. Then I sold him a larger fishhook. Then I sold him a new fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing, and he said down at the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department, and I sold him that twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4X4 Pajero."

The manager says "You mean a guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and truck?!"

The Indian says, "No, no, no, he came in here to buy a box of Kotex for his wife and I said, "Well, since your weekend's already screwed up you might as well go fishing!!"

The manager fainted...

Cheers!

2 comments:

William said...

That is a good one. I can tell you that a lot of migrants are not that sucessful due to the different in the practise. Just few weeks ago I suggested to my client in mounting an industrial light fitting with unistruct bracket. In Malaysia we will cut the unistruct into 10cm long, turn the bracket side way with the top piece fitted underneath a structure or slab and drill another hole at the bottom to support the light fitting.

My client was surprised when I told him so as they will use an unistruct the length of the light fitting, fit in underneath the structure and use adjustable hook to support the light fitting.

I guess that is the correct way of using unistruct bracket as he saw me few example of their installation. I feel really embarassed.

Same thing will be applied differently in different countries and it will be apply similarly to other area or career.

Heroes said...

William, you don't have to feel embarassed over that as the end result still the same. You have mentioned that different countries have different ways of doing things. Even in our country, Malaysia, different people has different way or opinion in applying or doing certain things, am I right to say that?

When a boss asks his subordinates to complete a task and I can assure you that not all the subordinates would have the same idea, opinion or way to comlete the task as the end result is the same, "Task Completed". This is what the boss want.

It would be different, when the boss set a time frame to complete the task. Then it's not the end result that would please the boss. It's the time frame. Whoever could complete the task within the shortest time is what the boss want, isn't it?

Again there is no such thing of borned genius. One has to go through the learning process and becoming a better person. The Indian salesman here is an good example of a person that has a creative mindset in achieving his sales target and not by quantity but quality. He has achieved the most $$ in one sale.